Jacobites to review transfer decision
Synod secretary Joseph Mar Gregorios said they synod decided to maintain the status quo in accordance with the instructions of Patriarch of Antioch Ephreim II.
The Monday's synod of some 32 metropolitans decided that another synod in August will make fresh recommendations on transfers of metropolitans after consultations.
Synod secretary Joseph Mar Gregorios said they synod decided to maintain the status quo in accordance with the instructions of Patriarch of Antioch Ephreim II.
The recommendations of a synod meeting in June were sent to the Patriarch for approval. These were being reconsidered in the wake of complaints from metropolitans of Mumbai and Idukki.
The Patriarch last week June annulled the recommendation on transfers after consultations with synod representatives from India.
Monday’s synod also rejected an offer by Catholicos Baselios Thomas I to step down due to failing heath. Joseph Mar Gregorios said the synod was unanimous in its decision to request the Catholicos to continue heading the Church in India.
The Patriarch of Antioch has written to the regional synod here highlighting overtures from the Orthodox faction of the Malankara Church on possible reconciliation talks.
The Jacobite faction would join the talks through its regional synod and through a committee appointed by the synod.
Source: The Hindu
No comments:
Post a Comment